POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New group suggestion : Re: New group suggestion Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New group suggestion
From: Ken
Date: 6 Apr 1999 08:51:35
Message: <3709F41F.11B0A2EB@pacbell.net>
Anthony Bennett wrote:

> I see your point. I wouldn't want to be separated from the kind mentors which have
helped me grow.
> There would be an innevitable crossposting also, wouldn't there? Maybe we could just
label some
> posts [Just for Teens] to speak privately.

Point of order:
  Privacy is not normally what one seeks when posting messages on an open
forum like the Pov-Ray news groups or on any of the usenet groups for that
matter.

  Besides as my ole grand pappy used to say "children should be seen and not
heard" this is of course unless the noise they are making is related to the
chores the have to do before the get fed. You kids are pretty lucky you have
as much available as you do. When I was a kid a calculator was either your
toes, a slide rule, or an abacus. The first electric calculators came out
about the time I entered high school and ran off 4 9V batteries, had 6 digit
red LED displays, and took longer to calculate square roots than it does to
download a 200k .3ds mesh file off the net in on an average speed modem.
Prices for those early calculators was about the equivalent of purchasing
a medium priced/quality motherboard today and a whole lot less reliable.

  If you youngin's don't get your own group you could start your own super
thread here in .general. Most people head for the bottom of the list when
looking for new messages to read and if you bury yourselves deep enough
even some of the die hards might start ignoring your activities after
awhile. There are some of the lesser used subject groups here that you
might try to invade and take over as your own. How much flak you might
catch for that is an uncertain variable I wouldn't like to have to predict.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net