POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Displacement Maps : Re: Displacement Maps Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement Maps
From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Mar 1999 16:21:22
Message: <37014052.0@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:34:35 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>  I don't think that he said there is no way to impliment the function.

True.  What I said was that there's no (feasible) way to implement the
function without making triangle meshes.  Even the infeasible ways only
work for displacement-along-normal types of maps.

>The amount of work it would take and the major changes to the core of
>the program would make one hesitate to consider if it is worth it. If
>there were other processes and functions that could be added that would
>take advantage of the major changes it might jusify the work but for a
>stand alone feature it seems doubtful.

Well, the feature in question is quite powerful and would probably make
it all worthwhile.  You know all those nonlinear transforms people are
always asking for, the stretches and bends and twists and morphs and
what-have-you?  They're all various kinds of displacement maps.  And once
you've added the mesh-generation code to each[1] primitive object, just[2]
add a CSG intersection function that operates on meshes and you can also
have an OpenGL or wireframe preview or a "Create mesh" function like
Polyray has.

[1] Or at least most of them.
[2] "Just." Ha! This is the hard part!