POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unwrapping : Unwrapping Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  Unwrapping
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 29 Mar 1999 20:37:56
Message: <37002AE8.9719CB8C@aol.com>
This message is kind of related to other ones talking of meshes and
triangles and displacement maps.
I just saw yesterday something about the ability to "unwrap" objects in
other 3D programs (3DS Max) using utilities to, I suppose, take the
surface and cut it open then flatten it out. This is apparently used to
make maps which can be drawn upon in a paint program then added back
onto the object. Painter 3D must do this kind of thing I guess.
Sounds interesting to say the least, anyone else know about such things?
I'm not to hopeful of this sort of thing being a possibility with
POV-Ray as is, but maybe another thing in it's future to dream about.
Makes me wonder though that this could easily be done with such
utilities external of POV-Ray on triangle meshes, etc. anyway.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe