POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Displacement maps. : Re: Displacement maps. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement maps.
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 29 Mar 1999 14:42:16
Message: <36ffd798.0@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote in message <36ff84b0.0@news.povray.org>...

>I don't believe this will work as well as you might think, because it's not
>always obvious even to a human how to connect the dots to make a surface,
let
>alone to a computer, but there are other ways of creating a mesh from an
>implicit surface.  Once you do create a mesh, you'll want to have a mesh
that
>you can use reliably in CSG as well.
>

>The superpatch does have keyword access to the object intersection
routines,
>but I think it would be unacceptably slow.  Better to implement something
>like this in core code, especially because it's trivial to generate meshes
>for some primitives.

I have created a sampling macro (two, actually) using the trace() function;
it's not all that slow. But it only returns a point cloud. I once thought of
making a meshing macro (with the marching cubes system) but dropped the idea
due to lack of time. Marching triangles would be better, but I'm not
familiar with the principles. Anyway, all this would be much more viable
implemented in core code, having direct access to pattern functions for
displacement mapping.

BTW, Didn't somebody here mention, not so long ago, that he was working on a
meshing system for POV?

Margus