POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 29 Mar 1999 11:27:16
Message: <36ffa9e4.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <36FF4CCF.D2E56451@pacbell.net>...
[snip]
> Will it make my scenes look any better when they render ?

Yes in so far, as it may allow you to create better scripts in the first
place.

> If indenting is such an effecient method of writting data why
> haven't modern book and magazine publishers started selling books
> with indented pages ?

But they have!
Most books and and articles use a setting where the first line of each
paragraph is indented a few letters, for the obvious reason: It is so much
easier for the eye to find its way through the jungle of letters - just as
in source code.

> Will it make any difference in the greater scheme of things
> 30 years from now ?

Not in the greater scheme, but in the smaller scheme, and not only 30 years
from now, but in more cases than not already in 30 days from now, namely
when you have to get back to some code written 30 days ago during some
hacked-through night, or (much worse!) to code written by a co-worker.

Ken, not withstanding your obvious believe of the contrary, the convention
to indent code *is* a good one and its advantages *far* outweigh its
disadvantages - actually, with a smart editor that does the indenting for
you there are almost no disadvantages - and no amount of trying to ridicule
it with well thought out (and funny) questions and statements will change
that.

Talking of ridiculous and presumptious statements, I can add one myself:

I work in the field professional programming (obviously the area from where
the convention of indented code comes), and I see indenting (and commenting)
code as so important, that it would be a good reason for me to fire any
member of my programming team, who rejected indention as strongly as you do
:-) - as a common raytracing-fan however, you are welcome to structure your
code as you like, just as long as I never have to read through it ;-) but
simply can enjoy the images you create with it.

BTW: The pressure to finally start indenting your code must slowly become
unbearable, isn't it? I say this from observing your fixation with the
subject, since no posts with the mentioning of "indent" or "tab" goes by
without an answer from you. I can only interprete this as the prelimnary
signs of a mayor indention orgy on the verge of a breakthrough. Confess it!
Isn't your left hand itching for the TAB key right now? Doesn't your
ringfinger itch to touch that forbidden key? You can do it! Yes you can! You
will feel much better afterwards, you will feel free, born anew, don't mind
the consequences! You can, you can, you can! ...

See ya,
Johannes.