POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Faster rendering in Windows and other weirdness. : Re: Faster rendering in Windows and other weirdness. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Faster rendering in Windows and other weirdness.
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 28 Mar 1999 10:02:41
Message: <36fe3ae2.8313350@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:45:51 +0900, "Rainer Mager"
<-nos### [at] golcom> wrote:

>Hi all,

[snip]

Hiya

>    One place where it makes an amazing difference is during the output and
>scrolling of the message window. If you have any scene with a lot of #render
>statments or are doing an animation you have to try this.
>
>    There are obvious problems though. The first is that this removes your
>ability to multitask. You mouse must remain over the opened window. I also
>noticed that the output to the message window is sometimes corrupted, or
>rather sometimes lines are missing entirely.

Unless you're displaying a preview window which the opened menu covers
(partially or completely) I've no idea why selecting a menu would
speed up the render. Of course, the POv documentation points out that
not having a preview window open will speed up renders a bit - as will
minimising it (or, presumably, covering it with a menu). this affects
fast renders more than it affects slow renders, and will also have
greater impact on a machine with a slow video card than a fast one
(though measuring the effect would be a pain).

Scrolling of the message window, similarly, should be faster if
there's less scrolling to go on (such as when a large chunk of the
message window is covered by a menu). As for corruption of the message
window if/when you do this - that *could* be a problem with the video
driver, but I'm sure I've seen it happen too (I just can't remember
what video card I was using at the time, and most of my renders are
done in my absence because they take too long).

Hopefully there's at least 1/4 of an answer hidden in the above.

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/7855/
PS change ".duffnet" to ".net" if replying via e-mail