POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Displacement maps. : Re: Displacement maps. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:30:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement maps.
From: Gordon
Date: 28 Mar 1999 07:47:39
Message: <36fe24eb.0@news.povray.org>
But the problem would be the fact that they are meshes with the problems
inherent in meshes. Mainly straight segments on the edges of things that are
smooth like spheres. This is one of the beauties of POVRay and similar
programs, when you specify a sphere, you can zoom in as close as you like
and it is still a sphere, no straight edges.

MAX is so much faster than POVRay because it is not a ray-tracer. This has
nothing to do with meshes/primitives. I have nothing against MAX, I just
prefer ray-tracing and real primitives.

I'll re-issue Ken's challenge, but the proviso is that I can zoom to any
position and never see a straight line without having to fiddle the scene!

Regards
Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>