POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Displacement maps. : Re: Displacement maps. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:30:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement maps.
From: Lance Birch
Date: 27 Mar 1999 21:49:43
Message: <36fd98c7.0@news.povray.org>
Well, it could be done... all you have to do is specify the bounds of an
object and an XYZ threshold.  If there is an object intersection routine in
POV-Ray (which there has to be somewhere!) then you could make a patch of
POV-Ray to allow keyword access to such a function.  Then all you have to do
is an ordered test from the top of the bounding box to the bottom calling
the routine.  If it returns 1 then you know that the point lies on the
surface of the object, so you can join the previous row of triangles to the
current and so on...  And there you have it, a MESH!  WOO HOO!!!

There is a plug-in for MAX called MAXMath which does exactly that.  I've
also made a small program that does it.  It's not that hard (well, I've
never done the meshing before, but I'm sure some talented programmer out
there could).

Not sure about fractals though... Hmm........

Anyway, hope this helps!  Oh, and also, you'd have to make some new mapping
modes, like shrink-wrap to make it realy useful for displaycement mapping,
or alternatively, you can have it as part of the texture statement.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone