POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Displacement maps. : Re: Displacement maps. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement maps.
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 27 Mar 1999 20:48:25
Message: <36fd8a69.0@news.povray.org>
I think this has been discussed before some time ago, but I dont' remember
the thread. Anyway, the main problem is that displacement mapping would
require the object to be converted into a mesh (like the current height
field). This is by no means easy, and I think it's impossible with objects
like julia fractals.
Object meshing would also allow non-linear transformations like twisting,
bending and other cool things.

Margus