POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : feature request : Re: feature request Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request
From: Peter Popov
Date: 24 Mar 1999 11:25:01
Message: <36f90617.13571634@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:11:00 +0100, Rem <use### [at] ghost> wrote:

>Since I do a lot of outdoor scenes I'd like it very much if there were a simple
>feature like 'atmospheric perspective'. At the moment a horizontal plane will
>get darker towards the horizon and this is opposite to what you might expect. It
>should be simple to implement such a thing which simply makes the color get
>lighter at a bigger distance. At the moment I find myself struggling with fog or
>media every time and not really getting the right result. Besides fog/media can
>slow down rendering whereas the other option will make almost no difference.
>It'd need only one parameter which defines how light (close to white) you want
>the horizon to be.
>Is this a stupid idea?
>
>Rem

You can achieve the result you are after with a little post-
processing. Here's a possible solution:

1. Make a copy of your scene. Enclose the whole scene in a union and
give it a white pigment and ambient 1. Set a black fog so that objects
get darker with the distance.

2. Use the resulting image as a selection in a paint program (say
PhotoShop) and adjust the saturation/brightness to suit your needs

or

2. If you are a POV snob and/or you are planning to submit the picture
to the IRTC, you can achieve the same in POV. Render your picture,
render the black-and-white thing described in 1. and combine them
using POV's average pigment (as image_maps on a plane or box).

Hope this helps.

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700