POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: POV modeller for LINUX : Re: POV modeller for LINUX Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV modeller for LINUX
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 17 Mar 1999 07:02:46
Message: <36ef99e6.0@news.povray.org>
Marc Schimmler <sch### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> wrote:
: Today a modeller for LINUX has been announced for POV-Ray at freshmeat!

  For Linux? What do you mean for Linux? It seems like a general UNIX
program to me. At least it compiled and worked just fine in this
SparcStation.
  Please, if it's a general UNIX program, then speak about UNIX. Linux is
only one UNIX variant. If it works in any UNIX system, it will probably
work in Linux too.
  It the program is made _only_ for Linux (ie. it will not work in any
other UNIX), then speak about Linux.
  Linux is not the only UNIX people is using. Those using other UNIX
variants may also be interested in the program, but if you only speak
about Linux they may think that it's a Linux-only program and they will
not even check it. So you are really making harm to those people and to
the creator of the program. The creator has made big efforts in making the
program portable for any UNIX and it's very unfair to speak about it like
it was a Linux-only program.
  I have made a couple on programs in ANSI-C which are compilable in
almost any system. I wouldn't like people calling them "Windows programs"
or "Linux programs" or whatever.