POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gamma 1.0 or Bust! : Re: Gamma 1.0 or Bust! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma 1.0 or Bust!
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 16 Mar 1999 19:43:35
Message: <36eefab7.0@news.povray.org>
Yes, the New Scale jumps from black to middle way too fast, all within the
first 10%.

As for the "compromise", I indeed have something up my sleve.  I'm still
experimenting, but I'm planning a "zone" system where each numbered zone is
"one stop" darker.  The float values that correspond to each zone will be
stored in a POV array, for use where ever you like.  I want to make the zone
numbers match what photograpers use in terms of which zones are supposed to
be shadow, which mid, which highlight, but for sake of discussion lets
suppose that #1 is darkest and #15 is brightest (keeping the same scale
direction as we are used to).  You can use White*Zone[2] to specify the
darkest shadow detail that still shows up against black.  Or something like
rgb <Zone[5], Zone[8], Zone[10]> to mix a color.  The zone numbers are in
your psycological space, where the difference in brightness between each
zone *looks* the same.  The float value in the array at that index is in
POV's flat gamma space, which is what the math of rendering likes.

Consider this a straw man.  Any comments, gang?

--John