POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spark stream coming off a grinding wheel? : Re: Spark stream coming off a grinding wheel? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spark stream coming off a grinding wheel?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 15 Mar 1999 23:52:32
Message: <36ede390.0@news.povray.org>
Well, the particles were made with 3D Studio MAX (using a VERY basic
particle system, just an emitter).  But the same principals apply for
POV-Ray with the spray plug-in.  You can find the plug-in at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/

I also added a glow effect to the particles... I guess that this could be
achived with media?  Or maybe the Lens Effects plug-in (one of Chris' also).
I'd expect that the particles you'd be modelling would be a little sharper
and smaller, like that of an arc welder?  You might want to try adding some
small "Sparkle" flares to the particles to simulate that way it looks.  I've
had very good results using Chris' "Sparkle" flare type.

Oh, by the way, the particles also have a slight motion blur on them, in
your case, considering the type of particles you're talking about, you may
want to create the particles using luminous cones based on the animation
parameters... i.e.  the base of the cone is the particle p1 at t=0.5 and the
point of the cone is p1 at t=0.45.  This way the particles will appear to
fade off as though they are being flicked from the emitter.  In
particles.jpg I used tetrahedrons which also work quite well.

Hope this helps.

--
Lance.

---