POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spark stream coming off a grinding wheel? : Spark stream coming off a grinding wheel? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Spark stream coming off a grinding wheel?
From: Dennis A  Smith
Date: 14 Mar 1999 22:37:15
Message: <36ec806b.0@news.povray.org>
OK, people, imagine this.....
My primary occupation is a sparktester.  A sparktester uses a high speed
hand held grinder with a 2-1/2" abrasive wheel to "sparktest" steel to
determine the approximate percentage of the chemical elements (carbon,
phosphurous, sulphur, silicon, moly, vanadium, & others) that make up the
steel alloy.  The various elements burst in unique shapes in the the spark
stream emitted from the contact....I swear!

We have never been able to adequately photograph these tests for published
training manuals.  I know what they look like, and I would like to see if it
can be described by ray tracing (Pov-Ray 3.1)

Can someone give me a start in the right direction? I would like to dipict
only the wheel and the spark stream which is emitted from the contact with a
particular grade of steel.  Any help in getting off the ground here would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis A. Smith
dsm### [at] netnitconet