POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug or Clarification: Gamma Correction : Re: Bug or Clarification: Gamma Correction Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug or Clarification: Gamma Correction
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 14 Mar 1999 21:21:32
Message: <36ec6eac.0@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote in message <36E96C53.A74EB89D@aol.com>...
>Don't think I'm going to be going to that assumed_gamma 1.0 after all.
>From what I've been seeing it doesn't conform too well at all for
>anything I've tried yet. All I ever get is a washed out image, loss of
>contrast

I'm having much better luck.
I've translated the colors in my scene by raising them to the 2.2 power, and
did the same
for the light sources, and the overall look is about the same.  Except for
reflections and other places where rays are mixed, I would expect =exactly=
the same output.  After all, before, the colors were picked for monitor
display values.  After, the colors are gamma corrected before display, and I
performed the inverse transform to pick the color, so they should cancel out
exactly.

Until I take a closer look at a full render, I can't tell for sure if any
differences are due to these combining differences affecting layered
textures, an error translating the stone include, or if I have a loss of
contrast due to some as-yet-unknown effect.

--John