POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering in B&W? : Re: Rendering in B&W? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:09:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering in B&W?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 13 Mar 1999 07:08:14
Message: <36ea52a6.1332078@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 21:41:02 -0500, Kyle <joe### [at] geocitiescom>
wrote:

>Hi everyone, thanks for the great response to my post.  Well, I've read
>through all of them and I've come to the conclusion that there is NOT an
>automatic way to do this in POV-Ray.  My goal was for my image to look
>like an old B&W photo, old west style particularly.  I guess it seems to
>me that the only real way to do it is to do what Ken said and just give
>each object a grey color.  I haven't actually tried it yet so I don't
>know how hard it will be.  Actually, I think it may give me some very
>badly needed control over my colors and textures (I can never seem to
>get them quite right).  I'll have a go at it and post my creation in
>binaries.images when I'm done.  Well, here goes nothin'.
>
>Once again, thanks everyone for racking your brains trying to think of a
>solution.  I really appreciate it.
>
>		Kyle

By no means do I wish to sound inmodest, but if you would care to test
the solution I offered (I haven't tested it yet), I bet my disability
pension that it will work. If you want to make it look like a really
old picture, yellowish/brown in color, with scratches etc., it is all
a matter of texturing the height_field properly. You can even try to
make it kinda burnt along the edges in the following way:

1. Make the HF16G png
2. Render a b&w HF blah blah (as I explained)
3. Get the image from step 2, apply it to a height_field and overlay
another texture, probably a boxed pattern that is clear inside and
black around 0.95 and above, with some turbulence.
4. Now using  the result from step 3 as a height_field with a
water_level of, say, 1/255, the edges will look eaten away. Apply the
gradient pattern you want (black->brown->yellowish ?) and overlay it
with the same boxed pigment from step 3, this time a little more
blurry , like

color_map
{
  [0 color Clear]
  [0.9 color Clear]
  [0.9 color Brown filter 1]
  [1 color Brown filter 0]
}

and apply the same turbulence as you did in step 3.

HTH

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700