POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering in B&W? : Re: Rendering in B&W? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:08:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering in B&W?
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 12 Mar 1999 17:12:44
Message: <36e98f24.23757454@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 06:44:16 +1030, PoD <pod### [at] merlinnetau> wrote:

>I'm pretty sure that reasonable post processing is allowed in the IRTC.
>I recall reading that processing which affects all pixels similarly is
>acceptable, ie. 'if you wouldn't be willing to do it to every frame of
>an animation, it's probably not acceptable' so I'd just load the image
>into a paint program and grey scale it.

Not so, I'm afraid.  That would definitely be illegal postprocessing.
The intent of the rule and the somewhat poor example you quote has
been clarified in irtc-l.  The desired situation is no postprocessing
at all.  About the only things generally considered acceptable
postprocessing are: adding copyright/sig, jpeg conversion. resizing,
gamma/brightness correction, (this causes some controversy) stitching
together an image rendered in pieces and (this is even more
controversial) cropping in certain circumstances.  Many people go to
great extremes to avoid even these things where possible.

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com