POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request : Re: Feature request Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 12 Mar 1999 13:28:20
Message: <36e95cc4.0@news.povray.org>
Lance Birch wrote in message <36e8aaf3.0@news.povray.org>...
<snip>
>Basically what it would mean is the the renderer would have to (when it hit
>the texture with the erode keyword on whatever colour you've chosen) keep
>tracing the path until it hit an area of a different colour (determine the
>colour of each point through the object).  The problem with this is, while
>it being very slow, it also has to have a way to determine if it's actually
>hit the colour boundary... for instance, you could have an erode fade to a
>solid colour, in which case the renderer would have to do a huge amount of
>work!!!

I take your point, though I had envisaged it only working in a color_map where clean
steps
are used, not fades.

>Also, it then has to determine a surface normal for this newly
>found point of colour which would be nearly impossible!

Would that still be the case if fading was not used, just clean steps of colour?

<snip>
>Lance.

I'm not at all conversant with the inner workings of POV, so whilst my suggestion made
perfect sense to me, as you point out, I'm probably asking the impossible. I just
thought
it was so simple
ie

pigment {bozo
color_map {
[0 Erode]
[0.5 Erode] // clean step
[0.5 rgb 1]
[1 rgb 1]
}
}

    When shooting rays at the surface, where Erode is found, the ray enters the object
until it hits a color_map entry other than Erode ( procedural textures occupy 3d space
think ). This point then becomes the surface of the object. Surely the surface normal
of
this point could be worked out by sampling the position of the surrounding points ( no
idea personally of the math of what I'm suggesting here, but it makes sense to me ;~)
).
If this was workable, I don't see it being neccessarily as slow as media, depending on
the
scale of the pigment used.

I think that such a feature would be fantastic, so forgive me for pursuing the point.

---------
Andy