POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The misunderstandings page : Re: The misunderstandings page Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misunderstandings page
From: Gordon
Date: 11 Mar 1999 19:21:08
Message: <36e85df4.0@news.povray.org>
I would call this one of the BIG misconceptions, that there is a "best"
format (or a "best" graphics programs, or, "best" computer, or,.....). Like
most things in life there is no best way. There is only a most appropriate
trade off depending on circumstances. In other words, it depends on what you
want to use the file for. Try to learn what the properties
(colour depth, compression, compatibility,...) of the different file types
are and then make a decision in each case as to what suits best.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant, but this is something I battle every day
working an a Help Desk.

Regards
Gordon
    Phil Clute wrote in message <36E81BB3.1250B1D2@tiac.net>...
    So which formats are better than the other?
    If you had to use a scale of 1 - 10 ...is png better than jpeg, gif etc.
    I assume the bitmap is the best, or maybe not...you tell me.
    --
    ...coffee?...yes please! extra sugar,extra cream...Thank you.