POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Changes to 3.1d "Official Release"? : Re: Changes to 3.1d "Official Release"? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Changes to 3.1d "Official Release"?
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 11 Mar 1999 07:22:20
Message: <36e7b57c.0@news.povray.org>
Mark Gordon schrieb in Nachricht <36E7206D.6BC513FC@mailbag.com>...
>Rudy Velthuis wrote:
>
>> I understand you must do some testing, but I don't see why a bug fix in
the
>> bump map code must be tested on all platforms. This is the core engine,
not
>> the front-end.
>
>Granted.  Still, as the announcement in
>povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions points out, 3.1e will include
>some other code cleanup as well, enough to justify testing on all
>platforms.

Ok, granted. I'm not really complaining you know. I was just wondering.

>In the meantime, if you're sufficiently fortunate to own a good C
>compiler (thank you, RMS), there's a three-character fix for the bump
>map bug while you wait for 3.1e to be released.

Nah, I don't have one for Win32. I have DJGPP (I downloaded it to create the
softtext utility - shameless plug), but as a Delphi user, on Win32 I can
only do Pascal. I have heard about Cygwin, but am not sure this would work
(has anyone tried this, BTW?). Then again, I can wait.

And I'm glad you test everything thoroughly. I know that badly debugged
software can cause a lot of frustration to the user (e.g. Delphi 4 used to
be very buggy when it was released).

And of course it would hurt your reputation as an excellent team if you
would give out crappy software, wouldn't it? <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis