POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Is there a GOOD blob editor? : Re: Is there a GOOD blob editor? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a GOOD blob editor?
From: Rodney Byman
Date: 10 Mar 1999 02:12:23
Message: <36e61b57.0@news.povray.org>
Rudy Velthuis wrote in message <36979211.0@news.povray.org>...
>Hello POV-Ray gurus!
>
>I've been looking for an editor which can do blobs.
>
>I know of blob sculptor, but this can't scale a sphere non-uniformly in the
>x, y and z directions. Most other editors, which allow blobs, don't show
>them in the preview window and, which is much more serious, always define
>cylinders by taking a standard cylinder (length 1, radius 1, most of the
>time vertical in some way) and scaling and rotating it.
>
>If you do this to a blob cylinder (let's say, scale it's length by 4), it
>will not look like a rounded cylinder anymore, but more like an ellipsoid
>(the rounded edges are scaled also). A good blob editor should allow the
>(blob) cylinders to be defined from beginning to end (like in POV-Ray),
have
>their own strength, etc. and also allow spheres to be scaled non-uniformly.
>
>Is there a good (but affordable, preferrably freeware) editor like this? I
>would write one myself (using Delphi), but I'm afraid my math is not good
>enough for this.
>

>this also uses scaling to stretch a predefined cylinder, so the POV-Ray
>result is not what you'd expect.
>
>Thanks in advance
>--
>Rudy Velthuis

If you are interested in a "good blob modeller" please have a look at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Ridge/6532/bmaster.htm. Right now it
is a so-so blob modeller with these features
-it is free
-scaling,rotating,(both in all directions) translating, individual
components.
-wireframe preview in 3d
-camera position and look-at

-radius,strength, position of components
plus much more!
(sorry very limited docs right now)
TO COME ( most of this is already written and tested just waiting to upload)
-3d gourad shaded preview ( already done not in current version yet)
-typable vectors for scale,rotate,radius and strength(ditto)
-shear transformation for components(implementerd as a POV-Ray matrix)
-texture for individual components( only colors for now)

THE above TO COME will be in the next release( 2-3 DAYS AWAY MARCH 9,1999)
TO COME
-undo buffer
-fix mirror function
-complete texture editor