POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I did it! At last... : Re: I did it! At last... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I did it! At last...
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 3 Mar 1999 23:28:27
Message: <36de0beb.0@news.povray.org>
Lance Birch wrote in message <36db7991.0@news.povray.org>...
>Mainly because NT is very expensive, and people like 9x's easy of use when
>it comes to PnP and USB.  I personally would like to use NT, but I don't
>have the money at the moment.
>
>Of course there are NT's benefits over 95/98 at the moment like
>multi-processor support.  I'd definitely like to see SGI's new
>workstation... it runs Windows NT and has 4 Intel Xeon processors!!!
>
>(he he he, a TAD out of my price range too ;-)

Re price:  It's only about $100 more bought with a system.

Re USB and PnP:  makes sence.  Also multi-monitor support, if it works
right.

Re 4 Xeon:  That's my next machine!  I'm serious -- 12 to 18 months I want a
quad PIII Xeon, I'm guessing 1200Mhz...  where did you see quad boards?

Right now I have a dual P-Pro, and I'm planning to overclock it to 266, with
proper cooling and heat monitoring facilities.  Upgrading to a dual PII-450
would require new RAM, new case, too and would not be that much of a speed
improvement.  So I'll stick with periphials for another year, and only
things that can grow into the next system with me.

--John