POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I did it! At last... : Re: I did it! At last... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:08:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I did it! At last...
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 3 Mar 1999 15:42:06
Message: <36dd9e9e.0@news.povray.org>
Phoenix schrieb in Nachricht ...
>'T was on Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:27:48 +0100,
>that Johannes Hubert wrote:
>> Even if you don't sell it but give it away for free, you are most
probably
>> in violation of the license agreement.
>
>Amazing, isn't it? Try a stunt like that when you're the producer of,
>say, a washing machine....
>
>"No sir, you can not give your washing machine away."

This is a tad different. He obtained a product at a propably reduced price
for school. As a bonus, he also got NT4 Workstation. Now if he would sell
NT4 for the real price, this would be bad for Microsoft. So this is not like
selling a washing machine, but selling a free gift. It's like the free
samples retailers or doctors get from industry. They often contain a text
similar to: free sample, not for sale. Now just consider the free NT4 as a
"sample, not for sale". Then it makes sense. I don't particularly like some
of Microsoft's other sales practices, but this restriction is quite normal,
IMHO.

--
Rudy Velthuis