POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Shadow of invisible objects : Re: Shadow of invisible objects Server Time
24 Jun 2024 08:01:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow of invisible objects
From: Masanori Imazu
Date: 27 Feb 1999 23:59:04
Message: <36d8cd18.0@news.povray.org>
Thank you for your kind advice. I changed the message to plain text with
some modification and further comments and post it again.

 I have had an experience that invisible objects' shadows appeared.

 I'm not sure that this phenomenon is worth to report on this news
roup.( But I think the phenomenon I experienced is classified into a kind of
bug.)
 Because I don't know if this phenomenon had been already reported or is
described in the document of POV-ray language very well.( Maybe NO.)
 But I try to report this hoping this report is helpful.
( And permit me to write in poor English and correct wrong expression I
wrote for my learning English. )

 Unexpected shadow appeared although I avoided coincident surface by moving
objects. It looked like occurring on coincident surface between imaginary
disc which has circumference on a point of lathe object and surface of box
 or other ) objects. And this phenomenon looks like concerning to what (even
or odd) times objects intersect at the same area.

 Detail of my experience is as follows;

( I attached the scene file. If you render it, you can see the shadow of
invisible objects. Please see it if you would like to know about this in
detail.)

 I tried to make a shape by subtracting two objects from a base object.
 The base object contains a big box. One of two objects for subtracting is a
lathe object. And the other is an union object just like the cross consists
of two long boxes.

 At first there were coincident surfaces between the base object and the
cross object. So I modified the scene file.

 I moved the cross object first because the coincident surfaces were only on
the cross object. Then some unexpected parts which looked like scattered pin
holes disappeared. But unexpected area still remained in the lathe object
which is subtracted.

 So I moved the lathe object the same distance as the cross object had been
moved. Then the strange shadow appeared.
 The object's shape was good. But there were some unexpected shadow on the
object.

That's all. Bye (^_^)/

Best regards
 Masanori Imazu

P.S. Do I have anything to do against the already posted message(HTML) in
order to save disc space on this server?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB)