POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help needed with radiosity and caustics and dispersion and... : Re: Help needed with radiosity and caustics and dispersion and... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:37:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help needed with radiosity and caustics and dispersion and...
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 25 Feb 1999 16:49:01
Message: <36d5c54d.0@news.povray.org>
Spider schrieb in Nachricht <36D46A96.FF2A70EC@bahnhof.se>...
>Well, I'm OOP in every-way... (I do JAVA as well :-)
>But, I think POV animations and several other things would be easier o
>acces with .<variable>
>Perhaps only read-only (only an only to many?) but it would still be
>nice.

See my reply to Bob Hughes too (today, 14:17). It would really be nice to
have them, as properties and not as keywords. There are far too many
keywords wasted for this. Every aspect of every object is considered a
keyword, not a property. If they were properties specific to an object (or a
class of objects), there would be less name clashes, so the keywords could
be shorter and simpler. Also the syntax would be simpler and clearer (to me
at least).

The problem with the POV script language is the fact that it was a very
simple language which has grown so radically, that more and more keywords
had to be introduced. This is because the language had a C-like syntax and
didn't treat objects the OO way then. So there either has to be a radical
change to it, making it more like it should be: an object oriented
description language, or the wild growth is likely to continue.

But I'm afraid we won't find many in the POV-Team to agree with us. And we
might also upset old-time users, who often know the keywords by their first
and last names.

--
Rudy Velthuis