POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Improving POV-Ray. : Re: Improving POV-Ray. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:38:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving POV-Ray.
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 22 Feb 1999 16:02:15
Message: <36d1c5d7.0@news.povray.org>
Spider schrieb in Nachricht <36D0602C.D635E4F6@bahnhof.se>...

>Rudy Velthuis wrote:
>>
>> Spider schrieb in Nachricht <36D01BE3.49F920CE@bahnhof.se>...
>>
>> >Show me that pascal code, please.
>>
>> If I can find it, I'll e-mail it to you. It was in one of the
>> news.inprise.com newsgroups (I think it was borland.objectpascal). It
should
>> have been deleted from my disk by now (I only keep newsgroup messages for
60
>> days), but I might have saved it somewhere (if I only knew where).
Otherwise
>> try Dejanews or the Delphi Super Page.
>Ah, I can try, If I knew what to look for... :-)

I've been looking in Gravity, but almost all my news was gone (I told you
about my self-imposed 60 day limit). I couldn't find it on Dejanews either.
But I'm 100% sure I've seen it somewhere.

>> But it was the improved algorithm which made the routine faster, not
Pascal
>> of course.

>I agree with you. but, often a specific algorthim is better than a
>general one, and most specific algorthims can be coded in asm once it is
>in a fast High level language. What I mean is that you gain less if you
>only trust that "asm is faster" and don't do a good algorithm first.
>Bubble-sort is faster in asm than in pascal, but still slower than
>ComboSort, SpeedSort or QuickSort. And theese algorithms would probably
>be faster in asm than in pascal. (Don't know, I haven't tried. I'm not
>_that_ interested in sorting speeds.)

Of course if you would implement a good algorithm in (good) assembler, you'd
propably gain some more speed. This can be done for simple algos. But to
optimize a huge program and rewrite it in assembler is not seeking for
speed, it is asking for trouble (bugs). Optimizers are not perfect, but
consistent. Humans are perhaps cleverer, but very inconsistent, make
mistakes, forget things, etc. Optimizers do not have these human traits.

>But I can say that I
>don't really enjoy BASIC as a language.

Neither do I, I'm a Delphi freak. And if, for some highly unimaginable
reason, I would have to dispose Delphi, I'd turn to C/C++. But those days,
BBC-Basic was all I had. It even taught me procedural programming, because
it had procedures and functions and local variables.

How many Euro-Cents would that be?

--
//Spider
( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]