POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where are you? : Re: Where are you? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are you?
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 20 Feb 1999 14:45:07
Message: <36cf10c3.0@news.povray.org>
Johannes Hubert schrieb in Nachricht <36cecf0c.0@news.povray.org>...
>In German there is very much a consonant pronounced like the English "v",
>only we write it "w" :-)
>I would say that it is rather the english "w" (which is softer and with a
>more rounded/open mouth than the "v") that doesn't have a corresponding
>consonant in German.

I don't agree. I know the German "w" is lightly "blown" (angeblasen), more
than anywhere else, but the word "Wort" is not pronounced as the English
would pronounce "vort" (let's forget about the pronunciation of the "o"
right now, just for simplicity). The German "W" is still much closer to the
English (and Dutch and French etc.) "w" than to the "v". To me, a "v" should
be a softer version of an "f", like the "z" is a softer version of an "s",
or the "b" is a softer version of a "p" and the "d" of the "t".

What you said about the Vic 20 is exactly what I meant. A "v" is not a "v"
in German (neither is a "w" a "v").
--
Rudy