POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where are you? : Re: Where are you? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are you?
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 20 Feb 1999 10:04:44
Message: <36cecf0c.0@news.povray.org>
OK, now I understand that you meant "able to pronounce all sounds" and not
"able to speak without accent" and I won't say that this is not true
(because how should I know?)  :-)
Even "able to speak without accent" may be true for many individuals...

But still:

>The Germans don't have a consonant, which is pronounced like a
>"v" in English (that's the reason why the home computer Vic 20 was called
VC
>20 in Germany).

Either I have a very wrong image (if you can say that for a sound) of the
english "v", or you are wrong.
In German there is very much a consonant pronounced like the English "v",
only we write it "w" :-)
I would say that it is rather the english "w" (which is softer and with a
more rounded/open mouth than the "v") that doesn't have a corresponding
consonant in German.
The problem with the Vic 20 was not that there is no "V" in German, but that
"V" is sometimes pronounced like "F" and sometimes like "W", depending on
the word it is used in and the region you live in. And if you pronounce
"Vic" with an "F"-like "V" you get the german version of that famous
4-letter word that is so prominent in Quentin Tarrantino's movies :-)

Johannes.