POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where are you? : Re: Where are you? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:46:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are you?
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 19 Feb 1999 18:31:12
Message: <36cdf440.0@news.povray.org>
Johannes Hubert schrieb in Nachricht <36cd25da.0@news.povray.org>...
>Tell this to the poor people that had to endure Rudi Carrell (spelling?)
for
>decades in german TV, who even after those decades still sounds dutch.
>Pronounce everything right? Yeah, sure!

I think Mr. Carell could learn to speak German without an accent if he
really wanted too. But his accent is part of his TV image. He doesn't want
to. I do. Most of my patients don't even know I'm from the Netherlands,
because I don't have a Dutch accent (unless I'm forcing it). This is not
bragging, this is really true. I also know some Germans (from my University
in the Netherlands) who can perfectly speak accent-free Dutch, so it's
certainly not only we Dutch who can do that.

What I really meant is, that Dutch (and propably French) is one of the few
languages which incorporates all known combinations of vowels and
consonants. The Germans don't have a consonant, which is pronounced like a
"v" in English (that's the reason why the home computer Vic 20 was called VC
20 in Germany). They don't have the combination like "ui" in Dutch. The

French can). That's what I meant. I was not talking about accents. I don't
think my language or it's speakers are  superior, but it just happens to
have a few more sounds than most others.

But somehow we're getting more and more off topic.

BTW, this looks like I'm some kind of fanatic about my language. I'm
definitely not. To most people from outside the Netherlands, Dutch doesn't
sound like a language, but like a severe cold.
--
Rzdy Velthuis