POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gimp... OffTopic : Re: Gimp... OffTopic Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gimp... OffTopic
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 17 Feb 1999 23:25:55
Message: <36cb9416.45197836@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 02:42:32 +0100, Spider <spi### [at] bahnhofse> wrote:

>Ok, I've used Gimp in a Linux system, once. I got caught on it.
>Now, I browsed the web for some interesting things, and found this port
>of GIMP for Win32.
>My question is, has anyone here tried it? (I know this is offtopic, and
>should probably be put into some other group on usenet, but, I don't
>have the time or ability to read in so many groups. Sorry.)
>
>Links :
>http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/
>http://www.iki.fi/tml/gimp/win32/

I use it.  It is very good, indeed.  The main gotcha is that it is
based on 1.1, so many of your script-fu scripts need a bit of fixing.
Basically, if a script barfs on a gimp-* command, check to see if it
takes an image as the first parameter and if so eliminate that
parameter completely.  OTOH, 1.1 script-fu has very nice sliders, font
selection boxes, color selectors and other goodies.  Both 1.1 and the
Win port are beta code, but they are very good beta code and the thing
is quite usable.  I would suggest, though, that you subscribe to the
gimpwin-users and possibly the gimpwin-dev mailing lists in order to
keep up with changes.  Tor has ported standard plugins and scripts
already, the cautions above apply mainly to self written or legacy
scripts.  If you are a GIMP-er or become one, you may want to start
reading comp.graphics.apps.gimp.

*** On-topic bit to salve my conscience ***

The GIMP is great for designing color gradients, and can export them
in POV format.  It can also be used to turn tga's into animated gifs.

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com