POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where are you? : Re: Where are you? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are you?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 17 Feb 1999 14:55:51
Message: <36cb1ec7.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:32:07 +0200, Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:

>Ron Parker wrote in message <36cb00d4.0@news.povray.org>...
>>
>>My upcoming IRTC entry has two objects made of bicubics, one with
>>176 patches and one with 200 patches
>
>Hand-coded 200+176 patches?! Please tell me you're joking! I tried to
>hand-code a patch object once, but failed rather miserably. Beginning to
>feel inferior here...

Partly joking.  They're generated and manipulated by a clever series
of loops and equations, but there is still a lot of hand-tuning and
so on involved, plus the need to have a feel for how the control grid
affects a patch, and the need to correlate the grids of adjacent
patches to avoid creases.  The object with 176 patches actually
only has 4 types of patches, but there are multiple instances of
each type.  The 200-patch object has four different types of patches
in terms of what they do, but their locations are somewhat random
so the crease-avoidance factor comes into play.