POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : double illuminate : double illuminate Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  double illuminate
From: Matthew Bennett
Date: 15 Feb 1999 16:52:38
Message: <36c89726.0@news.povray.org>
From Alan Kong's list of bugfixes for POV 3.1 posted to
povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions

>Removed double_illuminate for normal{} but retained it for
>  smooth_triangle, smoothed height_fields, and bicubic_patch.

Why has this error been kept for these three?  I agree with adding the
optional double_illuminate keyword for version 3.5, but why keep it as
default for 3.1d?  This means I cannot simply have a flat(ish) bicubic_patch
that is correctly shaded from the back.  I could use textures to simulate
the double_illuminated effect if I wanted, but having it as default means I
would be stuck with this "feature" regardless.

Humph.  Otherwise, the fixes for 3.1d look great (though any clues when
it'll be out?.. Thought not ;)

Matt

--
Author of the DataCloak file encryption utility:
http://www.btinternet.com/~bennett/datacloak.html