POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speed difference between PovWin 3.1 and PovLinux 3.1 : Re: Speed difference between PovWin 3.1 and PovLinux 3.1 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speed difference between PovWin 3.1 and PovLinux 3.1
From: Fran & Melissa
Date: 14 Feb 1999 15:22:37
Message: <36c7308d.0@news.povray.org>
Daren Scot Wilson wrote in message <36C5D516.29C98CDA@pipeline.com>...
    .... Snipped

>Can you explain why the first set of scene files show a dramatic
difference,
>while the irtc scenes show less, some almost no difference?
>
>--
>Daren Scot Wilson

From what I could see, was with scenes that had a longer parse time, didn't
get as big an improvement. Prob, due to the lots of memory allocations for
all of the objects....

Also I think that 2 of the test scenes, used Radiosity...

Its_cold was one, and I think Dragwat/water.pov was the other one.....

BTW, the speed difference was greater than I expected as well. I was only
hopeing for around 10% at the most...

Now All I want to try is a IDE that can be set to use POV for it's
'complier'.
There is a good one for Gnome that I'm going to try out...

Cheers Fran..