POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hypothetical question... : Re: hypothetical question... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hypothetical question...
From: Peter Popov
Date: 3 Feb 1999 22:56:55
Message: <36bde854.3632194@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 02 Feb 1999 21:01:35 -0500, Stephen Lavedas
<swl### [at] virginiaedu> wrote:

>Actually, you're right... the leap to quantum computers in the distant
>but forseeable future should actually make Raytracing a nearly realtime
>even.  (They should be able to easily break current encryption
>standards)  I am personally extrememly excited about this avenue of
>advancement.
>
>Steve

Don't you all guys think that by the time quantum computers and so are
available POV-Ray 9.3j will also be available (free!) with things like
true (integral) volumetrics, variable iors, backwards photon tracing,
true causics, trun diffuse interreflection,  wave behaviour,
wavelength-dependent scattering, diffraction, interference, true
dispersion, troposhperic refraction, hydrometeoric scattering, Doppler
effect, Einstein red deviation, photoelectric effect, luminance, heat
colors etc. The list goes on. Even if such machines are available in
three months, I can imagine Chris Young rubbing his hands with a big
smile on his face, and a post in povray.general like "With CPU
preformance so greatly increased since 3.1a we can at last include
some year-old ideas that have already been developed and coded but
proved inadequately slow for the public 3.1 release. Expect a quick
3.14159265 release featuring..." and the list I just mentioned.

Just daydreaming...

Peter