POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : soft text : Re: soft text Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: soft text
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 5 Feb 1999 15:51:17
Message: <36bb59c5.0@news.povray.org>
Marc Schimmler schrieb in Nachricht
<36BAB25D.676AF250@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>...
>Despite the current misunderstandings and the hurt feelings I think I
>have something that is maybe of interest!
>
>Have a look at
>
>http://www.freetype.org/freetype.htm
>
>They have a library in ANSI C for True Type Fonts.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have a look at it. I could try to make an ANSI-C
command line utility for this, using the Freetype libs. I normally convert
from C to Object Pascal, but it would be an interesting project to try the
opposite. I know, they also have Pascal libs, but I'm afraid (Object) Pascal
is not as very wide spread as ANSI-C is <g>.

To Nieminen: the tool just plots the string you enter onto a bitmap, than
uses the pixels of this bitmap to produce a huge blob: a sphere for every
pixel, the size depending on the distance from the edges (I'm not telling
secrets here, anyone can guess this from looking into the test.inc file,
generated by Remco's program).

The idea is really brillant. BTW I'm amazed by the parsing speed. I had a
test.inc of more than 4000 spheres in 1 blob and it parsed in 4 seconds (on
my old P90 48MB).

Remco's program needs Windows to plot the given string onto the bitmap.
Perhaps the freetype lib could do the same.

Of course, I'll have to ask Remco if I can use his idea. Herewith I do this
now.

Remco. Please answer this.
--
Rudy Velthuis