POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible to give POVray complete priority? : Re: Possible to give POVray complete priority? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible to give POVray complete priority?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 2 Feb 1999 15:45:26
Message: <36b763e6.0@news.povray.org>
As far as I know, there are only two main improvements in the PIII chip
(somewhat higher frequency aside). It has the KNI (also called MMX II),
which is of no use to POV. And it has a larger on-chip L1 cache. I'm not
sure about the effect of this; but I do know that my Celeron, which has 4X
less L2 cache than a PII, is still as fast at POV as a PII at the same MHz.
So I'd guess the effect will not be too great (in POV)
And Intel had the "great" idea of this identification code in PIII... Big
Brother Inside.
Anyway, I'd wait for AMD's K7. It has somereally  impressive stats and is
probably much better value for your money (a lot of money in both cases)

Margus

/.../