POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stats Dos/Win : Re: Stats Dos/Win Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stats Dos/Win
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 2 Feb 1999 03:47:34
Message: <36b6bba6.0@news.povray.org>
Spider <spi### [at] bahnhofse> wrote:
: So THAT's why. I thought it was enough to have it hollow.
: does the invere give me any other advantages except that the infinite
: goes away?

  I think it's more a conceptual think. I personally prefer to look at objects
from _outside_. Although povray only models surfaces I like to think about
(non-transparent) objects as solid. If I put the camera inside an object then
it conflicts against how I imagine the world since it should be solid but it
isn't. So I personally don't feel comfortable if I put the camera inside
a sphere which should be solid. That's why I always make sky spheres, walls,
etc, which 'inside' part is away from the camera (ie. the camera is outside
the object). That way I'm also always sure that I'm really looking at the
outer surface of the wall so pigments, normals, etc will work as expected.
  This is even more important if I use things like fog. What I think is:
"There is a wall there; a wall is solid material and I'm looking it from
outside; I'm not inside the wall but outside; so the fog will be seen outside
the wall (where I am) but not inside (so if the wall was transparent, there
should not be fog inside there)".
  Many people use walls (ie. planes) the wrong way, ie. with the camera inside
the wall instead of outside and then just define the wall as hollow so that
fog etc will work. This conflicts entirely with my notion of the 3D world I
am modelling. I would feel very uncomfortable at the wrong side of walls...

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/