POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : htmlflame=on : Re: htmlflame=on Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: htmlflame=on
From: Ron Parker
Date: 29 Jan 1999 14:10:56
Message: <36b207c0.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:12:23 -0500, Lue Ebra <lue### [at] nxuscom> wrote:
>don't know about you, but I'm looking at typical day in this group 65% flame
>(15 out of 23 threads). That was the basis of my rant..

>But don't you get
>it? This Ng's for the discussion of POV, not blasting some newbie because
>(s)he doesn't know how to change his(her) Windoze reader from one format to
>another.

You'll note that the last HTML flame I posted was to someone who had
been gently reminded at least once already to fix his newsreader and
had apparently decided not to do so.  You'll also note that it
actually answered his question, once he got past the <blink> tag.
You can doubtless find examples where I have cursed HTML posts
without answering the question, but I hope there aren't many.

Besides, if we don't point out the problem, how can we expect to get
it fixed?  Those newbies don't even know what their posts look like
to the rest of us, so they may not realize why nobody's answering
(or even comprehending) their questions.  A little maintenance is
necessary if we want to keep this newsgroup usable by all.

If I had been really vindictive, I would have posted the answer in
mixed/multipart, with a text/plain section containing the answer and
a text/html part telling him to read the message with a real newsreader
if he wanted the answer.  But I didn't do that.  All I did was make it
a little inconvenient for him to read the message, just like he did for
me and lots of other people.

/me makes a note to change his default headers and his .signature to
auto-flame anyone using a web browser to read his posts, using really
irritating JavaScript popups that refuse to go away.  Or not.