POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : htmlflame=on : Re: htmlflame=on Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: htmlflame=on
From: Mathias Bachmann
Date: 29 Jan 1999 12:07:39
Message: <36b1eadb.1@news.povray.org>
>  Firstly, you have the typical attitude of a windows nerd.
>  If you say to a windows nerd "a command line shell is very handy" what he
>actually reads is "GUIs suck, the command line is much better than any GUI
>in everything and everyone should get rid of all graphic interfaces and use
>only text-based command line interpreters".

I fear the typical Windows-nerd would at first ask: "what is a command
line"?

>  If you say to a windows nerd "you should also take into consideration
>text-based html browsers when you make a html web page" what he actually
>reads is "you have to include only text in your pages, no pictures, no
>frames, not even colors, no any other thing but only text".

A Windows-nerd will not know that WWW-Pages are pure ASCII, and will not
know that there IS a pure text-based representation of that  Web-Page.

>  If you say to windows nerd "UNIX is a very good operating system" they
>only see an antisocial geek sitting in a dark corner using a VT100-type
>text terminal typing cryptical commands and using programs from the early
>60's (everything in text mode, of course).

He (W. Nerd) will not know that that there are other OSes (besides that he
doesn't know what an OS is, anyway)

I'm Windows user ( but hopefully not a Nerd), Unix-User, and yes, in some
aspects I still like Windows.
As Web-developer in a small company I tried to state that it's no good idea
to develop only for the very newest features of the newest Browsers and
leave the rest of the world outside, but I told a wall. (they developed
websites for MSIE and Netscape ver. 4 only about a year ago, and wondered
why there was so little resonance on their super-duper designs), so at last
I left that company, now doing database design for much higher income...

Greetings,

Mathias