POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Req: a #macro to reorient a vector : Re: Req: a #macro to reorient a vector Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Req: a #macro to reorient a vector
From: Peter Popov
Date: 27 Jan 1999 22:28:39
Message: <36b1d855.28283057@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:13:47 -0500, Stephen Lavedas
<swl### [at] virginiaedu> wrote:

>Are you defining the Helix by rotation or by sin and cos?  I have

By sin and cos, but the result is still a vector :)

>written a function to wrap a Helix around a Helix using sins and cos, so
>I think I should be able to do what you are asking if I understand
>correctly.  Now, do you want the #macro to define one point/vector, or a
>whole series of points/vectors... Actually, that is an important
>destinction... you want the VECTOR right?  The vector from the axis of

Yes, I need the *vector*. Not the one from the axis (which, as I
mentioned, is dH(t)/dt or, as you say, point 2 - point 1), but that of
the actual helix coiled around the axis.

>the object being wrapped around... hmmm... um... let me look at the
>Reorient #macro....I can give you the points...then the vector would be
>the difference of the two points right?  That is what you want?  That
>value?
>
>Steve
>
>sorry if I am being dense...

Sorry for being denser :)