POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Union vs. Merge ? : Re: Union vs. Merge ? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Union vs. Merge ?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 29 Jan 1999 08:22:17
Message: <36b1b609.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:49:56 -0500, Lue Ebra <lue### [at] nxuscom> wrote:
>I paid it no mind until I saw the red and the over-emphasized "ANNOYING"...

That's cuz you're using Outlook Express.  Those using Netscape (as is
the person to whom I was replying  have the horror of the <blink> tag to
deal with as well.

>I didn't even notice any difference in download time  (it's only 2K)

But the issue isn't download time.  It's that the article doesn't display
correctly on a real newsreader (that is, one that isn't really a web
browser in disguise.)  Some of us know HTML and are sometimes willing to
wade through all the tags and   entities and crud to get to the
meat of the message, but it's often not worth it.  For a while, in fact,
I had my newsreader configured to kill on the Content-Type: header, thus
effectively ignoring all HTML posts.  This turned out to be too costly,
though, as that header is not included in the overview information so
SLRN has to download full headers for every new article on startup.