POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Req: a #macro to reorient a vector : Re: Req: a #macro to reorient a vector Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Req: a #macro to reorient a vector
From: Peter Popov
Date: 28 Jan 1999 22:49:29
Message: <36b0b7c7.137583@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:06:34 -0500, Jerry Anning <cle### [at] dholcom>
wrote:

>If I understand you correctly, I did something similar a while ago as part of a
>collaboration with Jamis Buck.  The idea was to create a telephone cord by
>wrapping a helix around (and along) a spline.  Instead of a spline and helix you
>could use your "H(T)" and "A(T)" functions.  Quickly and untestedly translating
>the guts of my work (based on VanSickle's 3.02 version Matrix Page), here is a
>macro that should do what you want.  In essence, it is a specialized version of
>the reorient macro in which the matrix transforms are done explicitly, "up" is
>hardwired to the Y axis, it calls global A(T) and H(T) functions, and it adds
>the eventual vector-pointing-to-the-position to the point along H to get the
>(transformed) point along A if my quick late night UNTESTED translation is
>accurate.  In any case, the basis is sound and you can probably fix any errors.
>Macro follows after my signature.
>
>Jerry Anning
>cle### [at] dholcom

<code>

That's exactly what I need, thank you. There is a small problem,
though - it doesn't work. No, I don't mean your math is wrong, I am
saying that when I modified it to suit my needs (and generally having
no idea what I was doing), it ceased to operate. On the other hand, if
I totally rewrite the include file *it* will stop working. So, if you
can please tweak it so that it takes as parameters not T, but three
vectors - axis1, axis2 and point, axis1 and axis2 being H(T) and
H(T+dT), and point being A(T), you will do me a great favor.

Thanks for your help.

Peter