POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Req: a #macro to reorient a vector : Re: Req: a #macro to reorient a vector Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Req: a #macro to reorient a vector
From: Peter Popov
Date: 27 Jan 1999 21:42:15
Message: <36b023ea.8100515@news.povray.org>
I am following myself here, as it seems I didn't state the problem
clearly enough. What I need is a #macro that works like the "Reorient"
#macro on #Macroscope, but is used with a vector. Why?

Suppose you have a point A rotating  around the origin in the xz
plane.Move the poiont up at the same time and you get a helix. What I
want to do is a helix whose axis is defined by a function (a #macro,
actually), so that it can be coiled aroind a circle, sine wave, or
whatever else. How?

Now let t be the variable of which the coordinates of A (x and z only,
y=0) and the helix axis are functions A(t) and H(t) respectively. What
I want to do is calculate A(t) and then reorient it along dH(t)/dt and
then rtanslate it to H(t). I need the coordinates of the object, not
the actual object transformed by a matrix, because I need them for
texture uv mapping (that's the whole point).

With these things cleared out (I hope), can anyone help me? I will
really appreciate it.

Peter