POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CALIMAX Modeler : Re: CALIMAX Modeler Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CALIMAX Modeler
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 27 Jan 1999 17:09:35
Message: <36af8e9f.0@news.povray.org>
Johannes Hubert schrieb in Nachricht <36af6f3b.0@news.povray.org>...
>Rudy Velthuis wrote in message <36af6b69.0@news.povray.org>...
>[snip]
>>
>>Also in POV I have the freedom of choosing the order of scale, rotate and
>>translate, and not always depend on the order given by the modeller. In
the
>>model I'm currently trying to do, it would really be much easier if Moray
>>would translate before rotating.
>

>A hint for that:
>
>When you say you want to translate before rotate, I guess that you *want*
>the object to orbit around the origin, when you rotate.
>Try this: Translate your object as wished, then create a group and add the
>object to it (it will probably be the only object in the group). Then
rotate
>the group as wished: Voila! Same effect as "first translating, then
>rotating" - at the expense of some additional "bloated" code ;-)

I did exactly that. But I still didn't like the fact I had to do it. IMHO,
it's much clumsier (and slower) than just writing out the code by hand. But
that's perhaps because I'm just not familiar enough with modellers to do
this stuff intuitively.

I hated the way GUIs work in the beginning too. I though it was much easier
to write "copy C:\x\y\filea d:\z\f\fileb" than clicking on a file, choosing
copy, go to another directory and click the menu again, choosing paste and
then renaming the file using another menu item. Of course now we have drag
and drop, but it's still clumsier than a command line sometimes. But I
wouldn't want to miss the modern GUI anymore.

--
Rudy Velthuis