POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CALIMAX Modeler : Re: CALIMAX Modeler Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CALIMAX Modeler
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 26 Jan 1999 07:47:47
Message: <36adb973.0@news.povray.org>
Ken schrieb in Nachricht <36AD7354.3EE0E76F@pacbell.net>...
>Has anybody out there tried the Calimax Pov modeling program ?
>I was just at their site and it appears to be a pretty capable
>program. It has even been upgraded with support for Pov V3.1.
>
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/andreas_koepke/index1e.htm
>
>I would like to hear your comments.

I have. It is, like Spider said, better than most. What I particularly like
ist the fact I can fine tune (almost) every aspect of every object by hand.
I don't like the fact one must always pop up the context menu und from there
the properties dialog to do this. This should be on screen permanently
(either like in Moray or as a non-modal dialog box).

It lacks one thing almost all other modellers lack too: the definition of
cylinders by their respective end points and not as scaled, translated and
rotated version of a standard cylinder. But the philosophy of this modeller
is a bit different from most modellers (every object has it's own settings
dialog here), so it could be the first modeller to include this.

It has a nice OpenGL preview window, something even more expensive modellers
don't have. This makes it much easier to judge the placement of objects,
cameras and lights, than a wireframe preview. Of course this preview can't
do textures.

Of the freeware (for private use) modellers it is IMHO the best. It would be
even better if it could what I described (I need this for blobs: if you use
a scaled standard cylinder, the rounded edges of a blob cylinder will be
scaled too: they're not spherical anymore). It should be a bit more like
Moray, where you can set all parameters directly on screen (and not as a
popup).

All in all, a pretty impressive piece of software!

--
Rudy Velthuis