POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Infinite (tiled) Heightfields : Re: Infinite (tiled) Heightfields Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:34:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite (tiled) Heightfields
From: Ron Parker
Date: 25 Jan 1999 12:47:13
Message: <36acae21.0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:24:47 -0600, Thorsten Froehlich
	<fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:
>In article <36ac79eb.0@news.povray.org> , par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron
>Parker) wrote:
>
>> I can't think of any way to
>> detect a ray that is parallel to the bounding slab
>
>Hmm, if I understand it right the heightfield is bounded by two parallel
>planes, so all you need to test is if a ray is parallel one of the planes
>(which is easy). Then you test is there is any intersection with this ray
>and the heightfields within the first 2*sqrt(2) (for a heightfield scaled to
>1 only) and you are done.

Not necessarily.  If you're using tiled heightfields as described here,
and the tile is a high resolution and consists of all zeros except
for a 1 in the exact center (at (.5,.5)), there are an infinite number
of rays which will not intersect within the space of two tiles but will
intersect at some point beyond that (consider the ray that starts at
(0,0) and proceeds in the direction of (.5,5.5)), and there are an
infinite number of rays that will never intersect at all (consider the
ray that starts at (0,.5) and proceeds due northeast).