POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dual processors? : Re: Dual processors? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dual processors?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 22 Jan 1999 17:42:28
Message: <36a8fed4.0@news.povray.org>
Alright, I just had to write back :)

> Do you think MS is going  to tell them that's a bad idea?

No, because they're a bunch of scumbags, we all know that :)  Actually,
better watch what I say here or the MSGang might come and attack me ;-)

> more often.  Real operating systems don't require you to reboot to change
> your IP address

I agree there, that's anoying.

> The standard is TCP/IP and the OS is Unix.

I've never used Unix (infortunately), but NT seemed to work well for me in
that respect, maybe in more complex situations it falls.

> Most Unix servers stay online for months or years without restarting

That's not exactly what I meant, I just meant it does pretty well,
considering we always shut it down every few weeks, just to give it a rest.
I'm sure it could go longer.  The only thing I'm worried about is that one
day when we turn it back on, the hard drive will seize up!!!  (I've heard a
few cases of it happening, I just hope it doens't happen to me!)

>Pardon me, did you miss the part where I said I write software for NT and

No, just explaining it to anyone else reading, I understand fully that you
know your way around NT!  I was suprised to hear that it still is fixed
though, looks like MS has been lying... again...

I suppose it all comes down to what you want to use it for.  Obviously for
high-end work it is great, I guess for low-end work it isn't worth it.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone