POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'? : Re: Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'?
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 21 Jan 1999 07:04:58
Message: <36a717ea.0@news.povray.org>
Mike <Ama### [at] aolcom> wrote:
: When I first saw that, I thought it really looked like a bug, but then I
: started thinking about why they would do that.  It's obvious it was
: intentional, since diffuse still works.  The reason, I think, is because
: you might want to use shadowless lights to simulate radiosity.
: Radiosity is typically a diffuse effect, so just having diffuse work
: should do a pretty good job.  If hilights worked and you had a bunch of
: shadowless fill lights, you'd end up with a bunch of bright spots all
: over object, making it appear like they are reflecting light from
: several light sources without casting any shadows.

: So it's probably not a bug.

  Perhaps it's not a bug, but a very big flaw.
  As I said in an earlier article, I found this bug yesterday and found no
way to avoid it. I expressly put the light source for the higlights, but
the shadows produced by this light source were very ugly so I made it
shadowless. And then the highlights were gone. I found no solution to the
problem.
  Making the object shadowless is not the answer since there are other
light sources too, and those should cast shadows normally.

  Perhaps a new 'highlightless' keyword should be better.

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/