POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media...Oh God..not again. : Media...Oh God..not again. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:38:13 EDT (-0400)
  Media...Oh God..not again.
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 20 Jan 1999 13:15:09
Message: <36a615d8.41206967@news.povray.org>
Greetings all,

Whenever I get the feeling that I'm getting to grips with 'media', it
damn well ANNOYS me again. Sorry about that, try to stay calm.
Okay, just two points really.

Firstly, in the POV docs it states that for the three media types,
only the red, green and blue values are used - transmit and filter are
ignored. Why is it then, that when using an unconstrained media ( as
atmosphere ), a specified 'background' color is only visible when rgb
0.3 is changed to rgbf 0.3, and then only when extinction is set at 0?

Secondly, I kind of got the impression from reading some of the recent
posts that the problem regarding media 'artefacts' ( especially as
seen in shadows ) is not a problem with media itself, but rather with
our inability to use it correctly. If this is the case, surely someone
must be able to explain how to use it. I'm tired of getting
beautifully smooth volumetric lighting UNTIL it encounters an object,
and then BRING ON THOSE ARTEFACTS. There doesn't seem to be anything I
can do about it.

Anyway...I'm still smiling nonetheless.

Andy Cocker