POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to speed up rendering? : Re: How to speed up rendering? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:33:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to speed up rendering?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 17 Jan 1999 15:41:40
Message: <36a24b04.0@news.povray.org>
This piece of advice may be of dubious value but...

Overclock your machine. Until very recently I also had 486/100. I OC-d it to
120 MHz; it was still a piss-ant, but somewhat faster. Also, try to optimize
all your BIOS settings...
Anyway, this will only get you so far (and it _might_ muck up your machine,
if you don't know what you're doing)

So basically, just get a new machine! I now have a cheapo PII Celeron
333=>419MHz; POV is more than 10 X faster. Am I happy?

Margus
    Kyle wrote in message <36A23F0B.8A9469FB@geocities.com>...
    Hi everyone.  I'm using an old 486/100mhz to do raytracing, and when
rendering a scene at 640x400 with antialiasing depth 2  the fastest I can
seem to get it to go is 18 pps.  (I'm using the WIN95 version)  I have all
other programs shut down. Render priority on highest, GUI priority on
lowest, and the render window closed....are there any more ways to speed up
render time?  Besides the obvious "turn down AA" or "buy a new computer you
cheapo".  Any suggestions?
                        Kyle